How to Apply for or Change Your Post 9/11 Benefits

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on reddit
Share on email

The Post 911 GI bill is an amazing benefit that a lot of veterans have access to. The only problem is that completing the required paperwork and application can be confusing.

In this article we are going to show you exactly which form you should complete as well as a walk-through of how to complete it.

The two main forms you will complete when you’re looking to use your education benefits would be the DD-1990 form and the DD-1995 form.

To decide which form is best for you, you can watch this short video. You will simply visit and select the form that is best for you.


We have added a few short videos below that will walk you through picking out the correct VA form as well as walking you through how to complete it.


Start Here-To decide which form is best for you, you can watch this short video. You will simply visit and select the form that is best for you.


1 DD-1990 Form. This form is used when you first apply for your education benefits. You will be able to choose your school as well as setup all of your account information. You can select to have your BAH (basic housing allowance) direct deposited into your account or sent by mail. The video below gives the information for those looking to attend the hands-on training program for IT and cyber security, but you can just change out the address and school name for the training facility that you will be attending.


2 The DD-1995 form. This form is for those that have used their Post 911 GI bill or have applied for it in the past (already completed a 1990 form). This is how you change your benefits and use them for another institution. The video below contains the content to be used for those attending the IT and cyber security program, but just like the 1990 form above, you can simply change out the name of the school and address.


To sum it up, the GI bill is an amazing benefit for veterans and applying for, or transferring benefits is too easy. If you found this article helpful, be sure and share with your network. You never know who needs this info right now.

About Us

Veteran Transition Mission is a veteran-run non-profit founded to help veterans build the careers they deserve after the military.

Recent Posts

Follow Us

Want to learn more?

What will my GI Bill cover?
Your benefits may cover up to 100% of your 9 weeks of training, books, testing vouchers, practice tests, exam crams, and can provide with additional benefits to help pay for food or expenses back home. We understand the needs of military veterans who want to further their post-military careers, and we can help make the process of applying for and getting your GI Bill benefits easier than you think.

What are the first steps?
Our experienced team of Veteran Career Specialists will work with you to determine if you qualify for veterans education benefits towards our programs. You will need to provide a copy of your VA GI Bill COE (Certificate of Eligibility) or screenshot of your COE from VA e-Benefits website to begin. We will assist you through the application process so you can start your training as quickly as possible.
If you are enrolled or have utilized your Post 9/11 entitlement for any training from August 1, 2017 to the present, you must also provide a copy of your most recent Award Letter from the VA. This will show what amount of entitlement has been used in the current calendar year. Once we evaluate your COE and the Award Letter (if applicable) up to 100% of the cost of your training may be covered.
Want to speak with a Veteran Career Specialist about your benefits?